PASOLA FESTIVAL



Now it is February and later March, months where some places in Sumba (Indonesia) will held the Pasola festival which comes around just once a year. I am lucky because I’ve seen this famous festival. I was in junior high school when I saw it in Kodi. It was my first amazing experience to see Pasola with my own eyes. The second time when I was in Wanno Gaspar for my novitiate year. We hired a car went to Wanukaka for this festival. It was hot but I was amazed by this festival.

And  this a short information about the Pasola which I taken from the book “Sumba Forgotten Island” by Robert Ramone CSsR. Wanukaka, Lamboya, Gaura and Kodi host the Pasola ceremonies of Sumba. These places are located in West Sumba and Southwest Sumba. The time of these ceremonies are differ from one place to another each year according to the moon and arrival of the nyale worms.

Lamboya and Kodi usually celebrate the Pasola in February each year, while Wanukaka and Gaura celebrate in March. The Marapu priest announce the time of the Pasola ceremony seven nights after full moon. The celebration begins with rituals such as the offering of betel nut, rice and other food to the Marapu ancestors. This is done by placing or throwing the betel nut and rice on to the megalithic tombstones.

Komentar

Postingan Populer